top of page
  • Writer's pictureNations Voice

Your Guide to a Music Degree

Are you considering studying music in the UK? To get you started, this article will introduce you to the top three universities offering music courses...

1. The University of Oxford

*Click to see video


  • IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL

  • Candidates are expected to have taken Music at HL

If English is not your first language, you must meet one of the requirements below-:

  • IELTS: overall of 7.0 (with at least 7.0 in each)

  • TOEFL (paper-based): overall of 600 with Test of Written English 5.5

  • TOEFL (internet-based): overall of 110 with at least: Listening 22, Reading 24, Speaking 25, and Writing 24.

  • International Baccalaureate Standard Level (SL): 5 in English (as Language A or B)

For more information, see:

2. University of Surrey


  • Overall: 32.

  • Required subjects: Music HL5/SL6. (If Music was not taken at all, you must contact the university).

  • GCSE or equivalent: English HL/SL4 and either Maths or Maths Studies HL/SL4.

  • English Requirement: IELTS Academic-: 6.5 overall (at least 6.0 in each).


Students taking the three-year BMus Music course can spend one or two semesters on study placements at institutions abroad such as:

  • Monash University

  • Universidade da Sao Paulo

  • Victoria University of Wellington

  • North Carolina State University

  • University of Central Florida

  • University of Cincinnati

  • University of Maryland

  • University of North Texas.

3. Royal Academy of Music



bottom of page